What is ABET accreditation, and what are it’s benefits??
ABET is a non-profit organisation which accredit college and university programs in the disciplines of applied and natural science, computing, engineering and engineering technology at the associate, bachelor and master degree levels.
It’s benefits, according to ABET are:
" ABET accreditation is proof that a collegiate program has met standards essential to produce graduates ready to enter the critical fields of applied science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology. Graduates from an ABET-accredited program have a solid educational foundation and are capable of leading the way in innovation, emerging technologies, and in anticipating the welfare and safety needs of the public."
In other words they “back up” your claim when you say you know a specific engineering field from a degree program.
According to ABET student benefit as follows:
ABET accreditation tells your prospective students, peers, and the professions you serve that your program:
- Has received international recognition of its quality.
- Promotes “best practices” in education.
- Directly involves faculty and staff in self-assessment and continuous quality improvement processes.
- Is based on “learning outcomes,” rather than “teaching inputs.”
- Can more easily determine the acceptability of transfer credits.
Your degree is a significant achievement and perhaps the largest investment you will make toward your future. The quality of education you receive makes a big difference in your career success. ABET accreditation:
Verifies that your educational experience meets the global standard for technical education in your profession.
Enhances your employment opportunities—multinational corporations require graduation from an accredited program.
Supports your entry to a technical profession through licensure, registration, and certification—all of which often require graduation from an ABET-accredited program as a minimum qualification.
Establishes your eligibility for many federal student loans, grants, and/or scholarships.
Paves the way for you to work globally, because ABET accreditation is recognized worldwide through international agreements, and many other countries’ national accrediting systems are based on the ABET model.
For industry and society
- Ensures that graduates have met the educational requirements necessary to enter the profession
- Provides opportunities for the industry to guide the educational process to reflect current and future needs
- Enhances the mobility of professionals